Last posted by John Philip Green | eldercare.com
Here’s ElderCare.com’s list of 44 sample senior care provider interview questions you’ll need to help find the right caregiver for you or your loved one!
General background of the candidate
- Can you describe your philosophy of a nurturing caregiver?
- Did you grow up with contact to an elderly family member.
- What are your hobbies and interests?
- What do you consider to be your greatest strengths?
- What do you consider to be your weaknesses?
- What are your most significant accomplishments?
- Do you have a current position and why do you want to leave?
- What are your expectations for your next position?
- What are your long-range goals?
Attitudes towards the elderly and knowledge of elder care
- Why did you choose to become a elder caregiver?
- What qualities do you have that make you a good caregiver?
- What do you enjoy about looking after the elderly?
- How many years of experience do you have with elder care ?
- Do you feel competent to look after an elder on a night shift?
- What kinds of activities could you do with the elder in your care?
- What do you find the most challenging part of working with the elderly?
- What do you find the most interesting part of working with the elderly?
- Would you come to a smoker’s home?
Talents/Skills of Candidate
- Do you enjoy talking and interacting with the elders?
- Do you feel competent caring for all for the personal care of your client
- washing hair
- cutting nails, toenails
- Are you confident and willing to administer medication management?
- making sure medication is taken properly on time
- Are you willing to come to the house at a set time each day?
- Are you willing/able to work shifts if needed?
- Are you trained in First Aid?
- Do you have any further training or certification?
- Are you trained to help lift an elder out of a bed or chair?
- What would you do in the case of an elder’s injury?
- What would you do if the elder is choking?
- How would you handle aggressive/violent behaviour by an elder?
- Do you have a driver’s license?
- Are you able to take the elder to appointments?
- Are you able to drive a standard or automatic car?
- What type of insurance do you have? (full/ comprehensive/3rd party?)
- Would you be willing to do light housework, change beds and do laundry?
- Are there any other duties you would consider doing?
- Are you willing to cook for your client and follow any dietary considerations?
- Do you speak a second language?
- When would you be available to start a new position?
- What salary are you seeking?
- Can you provide two current references with phone numbers?
- How do you feel about a trial period; how long should this be?
- What hours do you expect to work each week or bi-weekly?
- What are your holiday expectations?
- Would you be willing to sign a contract?
- What would you like to say about yourself and this position to conclude this interview?